Saturday, September 13, 2014

Cookie

Mom and Dad had the SWEETEST dog ever named Cookie.  They had to put her to sleep about a year and a half ago ago.  It was so sad for all of us because she was so great with the kids.  Pearce loved climbing all over her and she would  just lay there and let him.  Well, I have a picture of Mama and Papa and Cookie and Pearce likes to look at it a lot and always tell me that's "Tookie and Mama and Papa."  The other day, we were driving and out of the blue Pearce started talking about Cookie and asking me about her.  This is how the conversation went (I'm going to write it how Pearce talks because I want to remember this exactly how it happened):

P:  Mama Papa hab Tookie?
Me:  Oh yes, Cookie was Mama and Papa's doggie.
P:  Where that doggie doh?
Me:  Cookie lives in Heaven now.
P:  I want Tookie!
Me:  I know you loved Cookie.  She was so sweet, but she lives in Heaven now.
P:  I want Tookie heah! 
Me:  Oh, I know you loved Cookie, but she was sick so Jesus took her to Heaven to live with Him now.
               *Pearce is now getting upset with his little mouth turned down and tears in his eyes*
P:  I don't yike Jesus!
Me:  Oh Pearce, Jesus is nice.  He made Cookie all better and now she gets to play in Heaven. 
P:  I don't yike Jesus!  I want Tookie wif me!
Me:  I know you want Cookie to be here with you, but she lives in Heaven now.  Jesus is good.  Jesus made her all better.  I know you miss Cookie.  She was a good girl.
                  *And then Pearce was quiet and moved on to talking about something else*

I want to remember this story for several reasons.  I love that Pearce brought up Cookie just out of the blue.  I love that he still remembers Cookie on some level whether it's from actual memories or just from looking at her picture.  I love how innocent his feelings are on how the world works.  Of course we talk about Jesus and say the blessing and he learns about Jesus at school, but in that moment all he knew was that Cookie wasn't with us because he was with Jesus and he wanted Cookie here and at 2.5 years old...he wants what he wants and he wants it now!  Kids...they say the darndest things!  Here's one of my favorite pictures of Pearce and Cookie.  Such a good girl!!  We love you Cookie!!



                                         

1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet story about love and innocence at this age. Cookie will always be remembered fondly.
    Much love,
    GG

    ReplyDelete