Sunday, June 19, 2011

Life's Journey Part 4


So now we are ready to start IVF attempt #2. As the school year got closer to being over, I got more excited and more nervous. I had 4 months to dream and fantasize about IVF and about getting pregnant, and now the day was getting closer and closer. We decided we would start the birth control pills in May and then the injections in June. On May 20th, Chris took me to Chicago with him. He had to go for work, but the guys decided it would be fun to take the wives, too. We had sooo much fun! I was nervous about missing school so close to the end of the year, but I had always wanted to go to Chicago. I loved it!!! I was supposed to get my period while we were on the trip, so I went ahead and go my birth control pills and took them with me. We got back on the 23rd. As I was unpacking, it just hit me that I never got my period. I realized I was on cycle day 32. My cycles are always short, which was one of my fertility problems...that and I had a dwarf for a right ovary. I just decided to do a pregnancy test totally thinking it would come up negative and then I would know that any day now I would get my period. So, I found a box of tests that I had and did the test. Before I could even put it down on the counter, 2 pink lines came up!!!!!!! And these lines were dark, too! I just started freaking out. I ran to show Chris. I told him "There are two lines, there are two lines...I've never had two lines!!!!" He was very calm and told me I should do another test. I did.....same 2 lines came up right before our eyes. Were were in shock!!! The next morning, May 24, 2011 I called my clinic to set up a blood test. I went during lunch and waited for my nurse to call me back with the results. At 3:30, she called me and said "Well, Carrie, your numbers look perfect. You're pregnant!" I was in shock again!!! I couldn't believe I really was pregnant...the old fashioned way! I called my mom and dad and my sister and I told a few close friends. I had to go for another blood test on June 2 to make sure my numbers were rising. Guess what? They did!! My HCG was: 9,987 and my progesterone was 26.8. Next hurdle was June 13 for the 7 week sonogram to see the heartbeat. I was soooo excited for that day to come, but I was also extremely nervous. I kept waiting for another one of life's curveballs to hit me. I had no morning sickness at all. That made me nervous too. June 13th came. Chris met me at the clinic. I had a charm that Ashley had mailed to me that she took with her to all of Nathan's sonograms. My heart was beating so hard and fast and I just kept asking God to have our baby's heart doing the same thing. We got called back and the nurse took my blood pressure and weight and then told me that Dr. Hansard would be in shortly. As soon as the nurse left, I lost it. I just started crying and told Chris I was so scared. He told me to relax and that it's ok to be nervous but that everything will be fine. I just kept asking God to please let there be a heartbeat and let me leave happy. I had the charm in my hand and kept rubbing it. Dr. Hansard came in and I lost it again. I told her I was so nervous and she just gave me a big hug. I layed down and looked at the ceiling....I did not want to look at the monitor until she told me to. All of a sudden she said "We've got a baby and a heartbeat!" TEARS streamed down my face. Thank you GOD!!!!!! I looked at the monitor and saw a LIFE on the screen. She then turned on the volume and we heard the heart beating. The most beautiful sound I had ever heard. Then I saw the flutter of LIFE on the screen. Chris and I created a life and its heart was beating. Dr. Hansard said it was a strong heartbeat at 140bpm. She printed off a few pictures and said for me to come back in 2 weeks and then I will be released to my OB for the remainder of the pregnancy. Chris and I left the clinic in a fog of happiness. FINALLY!!! That day I could not concentrate on anything. I kept looking at the picture of our little baby. I thanked God throughout the day and I continue to thank Him each night before bed. I can't wait for June 13 where we will see that our baby has grown and hear that heart beating again. This journey has not been easy. It has had more downs than ups, but it has been well worth the ride. God was trying to show me that I could trust Him. That his plan is perfect for me. I see that now. It was so hard to see it before now. I wish I had put more trust and faith in God. Now I know. I am so excited for the rest of this journey. It's just starting. I know there will still be ups and downs but now I look forward to this crazy thing called life!

1 comment:

  1. I cried reading this Carrie! I'm just so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete