Sunday, October 23, 2011

Poor Otis :(

On Thursday morning, Chris called me at work to tell me that Otis' eye was swollen and that he has scratched his wrinkle fold and made it really irritated and for me to check on it when I got home.  Sometimes Otis' tears kind of drip down and can irritate his skin, that's why we always clean out his wrinkles.  He'll sometimes scratch the folds and cause it to get worse.  That's what I thought the problem was.  When I got home, I found him in the bathroom lying on the tile.  He didn't get up or acknowledge me at all.  Usually he comes up to me and is excited to see me.  I looked at his face and could not believe what I saw.  The whole right side of his face was swollen.  His right eye was almost swollen shut.  I looked at his wrinkle fold and he had scratched it, but then I looked closer at his face and noticed a red rash and sores all over his face.  My immediate thought was that he had an allergic reaction to something or was stung or bitten by something.  I called Chris to tell him he looked a lot worse than he had and he told me to take him to the vet.  I called the vet and they told me to bring him right in.  When we got there they took him back and started examining him.  A little bit later, Dr. Faught came out to tell me Otis had a 104 degree fever and that he did have an allergic reaction to something....either a substance or a bite or sting....there was no way to know.  He got a steroid shot, antibiotics, and an ointment for the area he had scratched so much.  Otis was so pitiful that night.  All he wanted to do was lay around, but you could tell he was so uncomfortable.  Dr. Faught did say that the steroids could cause him to have a seizure because it sometimes interferes with seizure medication.  Sure enough, on Friday morning we woke up to Otis having a seizure....he had 3 total :(  Chris dropped him off at the vet for the day so that they could watch him.  He ended up being totally fine and got some rest that day.  His face looked even worse that day, though, but the vet told us to give him another day for the meds to take effect.  Thank goodness, he did look a lot better on Saturday and today he looks TONS better.  Poor little fella.  He's had a hard time.  

He looks bad in these pictures right?  Well, he looked a LOT worse the next day.  Thank goodness he is on the mend now!




1 comment:

  1. Oh, my poor baby Otis!! I'm so sorry that something bit you. GG wishes she had been there to take care of you. You look so pitiful.

    Lora

    ReplyDelete